Society is becoming increasingly accepting of the LGBTI (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender and Inter-gender) communities, but this was not always the case.
For gay men, their sexuality is often associated with feelings of guilt, anxiety and fear. This is particularly true of older generations.
Sophie specializes in helping older gay men work through relationship issues, family complexities or anxiety, guilt and fear left over from past discrimination.
There are many circumstances psychology can assist in treating including:
- Varied relationship issues that can occur in straight and homosexual relationships.
- Guilt associated from family/ societal pressures, especially in formerly closeted gay men.
- Relief of anxiety that can arise from being bullied and harassed.
- Grief counselling can help dealing with survivor’s guilt for those that lived through the HIV/ AIDS crisis.
- Clashes between cultural and sexual identification.
Sophie is an experienced psychologist who has worked with many older, gay men in the St Kilda Community.
Call her today to make an appointment.
Appointments can be made over the phone or via email.
Sophie’s practice is located at the Victoria Medical Centre, Acland Street, St Kilda.